I’ve just recently found out that one of my favorite songs Venus as a Boy was composed by Björk when she read the novel with the same title written by Luke Sutherland. I immediately started looking for this book on the internet, because I like Björk as an artist, and this came out to be a good recommendation. I liked her the first time I heard her on a radio as a kid. Although a pop musician, she has something unearthly in her enchanting voice, and I think, that if there are such creatures as fairies and elves, she could communicate with them through some of her songs. Anyway, there is a wonderful music video for this song, also inspired by one old story about two people’s sexual obsession with eggs (but that’s not the topic to discuss on a food blog, I guess ;)). I watch it sometimes as an inspiration, before putting my cooking hat on. And that was the case when I decided to make this simple but delicious milk soaked chocolate cake. And indeed, I am listening to this song right now – it’s that inspirational and it’s that good. Maybe you should too :)
This milk soaked chocolate cake is a type of light sponge cake, soaked with milk. And although it’s not a superstar of cakes, it is a tasty moist dessert which is very easy to make and even the people with no cooking experience can make it perfectly.
Milk Soaked Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 12 tablespoons milk
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 12 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 12 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar or ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 750 milliliters / 25.5 fluid ounces milk
- mixing bowls
- cooking pot
- measuring spoon
- baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 390°F.
- Separate eggs in two mixing bowls. Beat egg whites, until they form peaks. Set it aside. Next, beat egg yolks for 4 to 5 few minutes while adding the sugar; turn the mixer on low and add all remaining cake ingredients. Mix thoroughly, and then set the mixer aside. Using spatula, slowly add egg whites into the mixture.
- Take your baking dish – I’ve used a rectangular baking dish 9×13 inch / 23 x 34 cm, but a bit smaller baking dish can also be used. If you use larger, it will still be nice, but quite thin cake. Coat the bottom and sides of your baking dish with ½ tablespoon sunflower oil. Pour the mixture into the dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. After 20 minutes take the toothpick a test if the cake is done. Then take cake out of the oven and let it rest.
- For that time take cooking pot and pour in the milk. Add sugar and vanilla and heat it until sugar dissolves completely. Take a fork and prick the cake evenly. Now take the warm milk and slowly pour on a warm cake – pay special attention to soak evenly whole cake, especially the edges. Let cake to cool completely and absorb the liquid for about 30 minutes. Cut it in smaller pieces, to avoid cake breaking while transporting it from the dish to plate.
You can serve this milk soaked cake with a spoonful of whipped cream, it will go nicely with some fresh berries, it can even be served chilled with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but it is also a perfect piece of cake to serve with a cup of coffee while reading your favorite magazine, or chatting with friend. You decide.